The Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum Trust
The Regimental Museum
The Museum was until 1967 located at the Regiment’s Headquarters in Warwick when it moved to the Drill Hall at Stratford upon Avon. It was soon realised alternative premises would be needed to house the entire collection and although attempts were made to find an alternative venue, nothing suitable was forthcoming.
In 1976 the Mayor of Warwick offered the use of the Basement of the Court House, Warwick and in 1979 a public appeal was launched and on the 25 April 1981 the Museum was officially opened by the Mayor of Warwick.
Key Aims and Objectives
To continue to improve, develop and review all aspects of:
As set out in the Museum’s Forward Plan 2009-2012 and subject to annual review.
Nature of the Collection in the Museum
The collection covers the period 1794 to 1956 and is divided in two parts.
Arrangements are in place to recruit and retain active volunteers drawn from the Queen’s Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry Comrade’s Association and the Friends of the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum, none of whom receive any remuneration.
All WY Museum volunteers receive induction and training and are initially paired with more experienced volunteers when undertaking curatorial duties. We currently have a team of 24 volunteers who have agreed to act in a curatorial capacity on days when the Museum is open to the public in accordance with a published rota.
Sources of Revenue
Entirely by voluntary subscription and by Collecting Box in the Museum. We are not allowed to charge for entry as the Court House is a public building owned by the Warwick Town Council. As an Accredited Museum the Trustees look to maximise grants available for specific projects within the Museum.
Main Type of Visitor
Annual visitor numbers continue to climb: 4,800 in 2008 and some 5,000 in 2009 and some 6,000 in 2010 from across the UK and from many countries across the globe.
The Trustees place on record their thanks to the Warwick Town Council and all who generously support the Museum.
Chairman: Maj Mike Burman TD.
Trustee: Lt Col Richard Showell TD.
Trustee: Maj David Hardy TD.
Trustee: Mrs Margaret Haycock.
Trustee: Mr Philip Wilson.
Trustee: Maj Richard Hall QVRM
Secretary to the Trustees: Mr Bryan Johnson BEM.
To safeguard the heritage and collective memory of those who have served with the Warwickshire Yeomanry so that both present and future generations may learn the importance of the past through its history.
The Museum is run in accordance with the Declaration of Trust 20 November 1979.
The Trustees are drawn from those who have had a close involvement with the Regiment and its successors (6) with 3 ex-officio Trustees as stated in clause 14; they meet twice yearly, in addition to undertaking duties as volunteer curators when the Museum is open. Clause 16 covers the appointment of an unpaid Museum Secretary who supports the Trustees in the management and governance of the Museum. The Trustees have agreed the appointment of a Curatorial Advisor.
Acquisition and Disposal Policy
The latest policy was approved by the Museum Trustees in May 2009 and there after every three years. Any acquisitions outside the stated policy will only be made in exceptional circumstances and with full consideration by the Trustees.
The WY Museum Secretary acts as Principal Curator and is responsible to the Chairman of the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum Trust for the day to day management of the Museum.
The WY Museum Secretary is supported by one of the Trustees in his role as WY Museum Archivist / Volunteer Coordinator and together they liaise with those directly involved with all aspects of the Museum.