THE MUSEUM WILL REOPEN
On "Saturday 9th August 2014 at 11am"
The Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum,
Jury Street, Warwick, CV34 4EW
re-opens on 9 August 2014 at 11am with an
Open Day to ‘Commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Commencement of the Great War.’ There will be additional military displays in the Ballroom, in Pageant Gardens and in Castle Street, Warwick, until 4pm.
The Warwickshire Yeomanry mobilised on 5 August 1914 and all four Squadrons camped on Warwick Common on 10 August, entraining with their horses for Bury-St-Edmunds on the 13 August.
The Regiment embarked for Egypt from Avonmouth on 11 April 1915 arriving at Chatby Camp, Alexandria, Egypt on 24 April, 1915,
returning home after four years active service overseas in May 1919
It is our intention to develop a series of different exhibitions each year between
August 2014 and November 2018, commencing with
‘Mobilisation August 1914,’
each will feature in our Museum website in due course. http://www.warwickshire-yeomanry-museum.co.uk/
We are a Regimental Museum completely supported by Volunteers and our aim is to safeguard the heritage and collective memory of those who have served with the Warwickshire Yeomanry so that both present and future generations may learn the importance of the past through its history.
The Last Parade
We are very proud of our living history project in conjunction with "Torn Corner Limited" that has produced a DVD of the story of the change from Horses to Tanks, described by the soldiers who were there.
See a clip from the DVD
"The Last Parade" The DVD can be purchased at the museum
The Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum
has the support of the
16th June 2014
The museum will be opened to all on Saturday 9th August 2014 at 11am
There will be no more photographs of the museum until after the opening.
3rd May 2014
The rebuild of the museum is happening at a pace, hard work by mainly 3 volunteers working up to 4 days a week. There is still a lot to do, we await delivery of a number of new story boards, with wall mounted items appearing daily.
Possible window setup yet to be finished, this may change,
The Story boards are mounted, a new location for the original wheels.
for other views you will have to visit the museum.
26 February 2014
Significant improvements have been made to the Museum and these include.
Partitioning behind main staircase has been removed, stairs are carpeted.
Lift for easier access.
An air extraction system with temperature and humidity controls.
Re-decorated throughout, crumbling stonework replaced and paint removed from stone walls
Wall mounted electric heaters and LED Lighting.
All interior doors and door frames within display areas have been removed.
Wall mounted display cases have been refurbished and include a damp proof membrane between the wall and case.
Improved archival and storage facilities.